Wondering what sports are played in the Winter Olympics? We’ve got a complete list of all the sports and events that are played during the Winter Games.
Checkout this video:
The Winter Olympics are a major international sporting event that takes place every four years. The first Winter Olympics were held in 1924, and since then they have been held every four years with the exception of the years during World War II. The Winter Olympics are now held two years after the Summer Olympics.
The Winter Olympics include five main sports: alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, figure skating, ice hockey, and speed skating. In addition to these five sports, there are also a number of demonstration and exhibition events that take place during the Winter Olympics.
One of the most popular demonstration events from the past was ski ballet, which was last seen at the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary. Other popular demonstration events have included curling, dog sledding, and speed skiing.
With the exception of curling, all of the sports that are played at the Winter Olympics are also played at the Winter Paralympics, which is an international sporting event for athletes with disabilities. The Paralympics are held immediately after the conclusion of the Winter Olympics.
Winter Olympics Sports
The Winter Olympics are upon us, and that got us thinking about all the different sports that are played during this event. We were surprised to learn that there are actually quite a few sports that are played during the Winter Olympics. Here is a list of all the sports that are currently being played in the 2018 Winter Olympics.
-Cross Country Skiing
-Short Track Speed Skating
Winter Olympics History
While many people think of the Winter Olympics as a more modern Games, it actually has a longer history than the Summer Olympics. The first Winter Olympics were held in 1924 in Chamonix, France and featured just five sports: bobsleigh, curling, ice hockey, skating and skiing.
Since then, the Winter Olympics have been held 20 times in locations across the world. The most recent Games were held in Pyeongchang County, South Korea in 2018, and featured 102 events across 15 sports.
Some of the most popular winter sports include skiing (alpine and cross-country), figure skating, speed skating, ice hockey, curling and bobsleigh.
Winter Olympics Venues
Over the years, the Winter Olympics have been held in some of the most breathtaking locations on the planet. Here are just a few of the stunning venues that have hosted the Winter Games.
In 2018, the Winter Olympics will be held in PyeongChang, South Korea. The mountainous setting is sure to provide a stunning backdrop for the events.
In 2014, the games were held in Sochi, Russia. Sochi is located on the Black Sea, and provided athletes with a warm (by winter standards) location to compete.
The 2010 games were held in Vancouver, Canada. Vancouver is located in a beautiful setting, surrounded by mountains and sea.
Winter Olympics Athletes
Winter Olympics athletes compete in a variety of sports, including skiing, skating, and sledding. Some of the most popular sports in the Winter Olympics are figure skating, speed skating, and hockey. Winter Olympic athletes come from all over the world, and many different countries are represented in the games.
Winter Olympics Schedule
The Winter Olympics are held every four years and feature a variety of cold-weather sports, including skiing, ice skating, and hockey. The 2018 Winter Olympics will be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea, from February 9-25.
Athletes from all over the world compete in the Winter Olympics. The United States has traditionally been one of the top countries in the medal count, but countries like Norway, Germany, and Canada also have a strong showing.
Athletes compete in a variety of different events during the Winter Olympics. Some of the most popular events include figure skating, alpine skiing, snowboarding, and speed skating.
The Winter Olympics are a unique and exciting event that brings together athletes from all over the world to compete in a variety of different cold-weather sports.
Winter Olympics Results
The following is a list of sports played in the Winter Olympics. The results are of the most recent games.
Winter Olympics TV Schedule
The XXIII Olympic Winter Games will be held in PyeongChang, South Korea, from February 9-25, 2018. Here is the full TV schedule for the 2018 Winter Olympics.
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Please note: Some events may not air live on television but will be available to stream live on NBCOlympics.com. A complete TV and streaming schedule will be posted closer to the start of the Olympics.
Winter Olympics Highlights
While the Summer Olympics always take the main stage, the Winter Olympics always manages to pull in a huge audience as well – over two billion people tuned in to watch the Sochi games in 2014.
There are a total of fifteen sports and ninety-eight events that are played during the Winter Olympics. Snowboarding, speed skating, and ice hockey are always fan favorites, but there are plenty of other great events to watch.
Some of the most popular sports include:
* Alpine Skiing – This is considered one of the most dangerous sports in the world. Athletes compete by skiing down incredibly steep slopes at high speeds, sometimes going over 90 mph. There are five main events in alpine skiing including downhill, super-G, slalom, combined, and giant slalom.
* Biathlon – This is a sport that is unique to the Winter Olympics. It combines cross-country skiing with rifle shooting. There are seven main events in biathlon including sprints, pursuit races, mass start races, and relays.
* Bobsleigh – Bobsledding is another dangerous sport that requires athletes to navigate their way down an icy track in a sled. There are four main events in bobsleigh including two-man sleds, four-man sleds, two-woman sleds, and combined teams.
* Cross Country Skiing – Cross country skiing is one of the most grueling sports in the world. It requires athletes to ski across frozen terrain for long distances – sometimes 100 km! There are nine main events in cross country skiing including sprints, team sprints, relays, mass start races, and skiathlons.
* Curling – Curling is one of the most popular sports in the Winter Olympics because it is so easy to follow and very entertaining to watch. It is often referred to as “chess on ice” because it requires strategy and precision. There are three main events in curling including mixed doubles, men’s curling, and women’s curling.
* Figure Skating – Figure skating has been a part of the Winter Olympics since 1908 and it remains one of the most popular sports today. Athletes compete individually or as part of a team in routines that combine jumps, spins, and lifts set to music. There are four main events in figure skating including men’s singles skating, women’s singles skating team skating ,and pairs skating .
* Freestyle Skiing – Freestyle skiing was first introduced as an official sport in 1992 but it has quickly become one of the most popular winter sports. It includes six different disciplines including moguls skiing ,aerials ,slopestyle ,halfpipe snowboarding ,cross ,and skicross .
* Ice Hockey – Ice hockey is one of the most popular winter sports around the world .It is fast-paced and highly competitive .There are three main ice hockey events in Olympic competition including men’s ice hockey women’s ice hockey ,and mixed doubles .
* Luge – Luge is another dangerous sport that requires athletes to navigate their way down an icy track on a sled .There are threemain lugeevents Olympic competition singles doubles ,and team relay .
* Nordic Combined – Nordic combinedis a unique sport that combines elements of both cross country skiing jumping together .there two eventsthis category individual large hill race Portage Park timesmeals jump individual Gundersen normal hill race small jump timesmeals
Winter Olympics Future
Though the future of the Winter Olympics is unclear, there are many different sports that have been played in the past. Some of these sports include skiing, ice skating, snowboarding, and more. The Winter Olympics is a time for people from all over the world to come together and compete in various winter sports.